21.8.09

If The State Slogan Fits. . .

  a much needed vacation was had in maine with my family and boyfriend eric.  Went to visit my grandfather and all the other joys of Maine: Ping pong, taffy, fishing, card-games, boats breaking down, too much wine, lobstah (i ate my first ever whole lobster. . . i used to be strictly a legs girl, no more!) flea markets, blueberries, hair dying . . . 
   
The weather was insane!! it was in the 80s/90s the whole time and not a cloud in the sky. This made swimming in the sub-zero ocean a whole lot easier (i still had to convince eric on a daily basis that there were no sharks in maine) . . . and now i'm back home with a tan and a ton of mosquito bites.
my sister Alden made us all Sushi the first night (using some crab meat from crabs she had caught that day!) nectarine, avocado, carrots and my boyfriends' farm's scallions and cucumber. too bad red-tide kept us from eating the millions of mussels that are our neighbors.
   it was f-ing fabulous.
Happy boat goers Before the boat broke down (it just so happens i have a deep seeded fear of transportation devices breaking down/running out of gas) 

We flagged down someone nice enough to tow us back to our dock with his dingy. . . slow going
Beautiful Alden with my dog Pitch. Can a girl look more relaxed?
Eric with his "Fruity Treets" cereal. . . i swear these companies are forcing our youth to become illiterate.  Treets???? c'mon now. 
my mom trusting me with scissors. 

every time she's nervous. every time she likes how it turns out. 
  
My Grandfather divvying up the lobstahs
Bridge-master Dwayne helping Alden with her shiny new hook.
Favorite Maine quote ever was said by Dwayne (twin brother of Dwight, also a bridge-master. . . both have been at it for almost 50 years!!)  :

"C'mon ya stupid fish, bite the shiny hook!"      said in the thickest Maine accent you'll ever hear.
Fishing with no luck. . . and i went blonder. . . 
a lil video of my parents' amazing dog Josie who taught herself how to use the boat ladder to climb out onto the dock!!   Genius. I swear.


14 Comments:

Anonymous Patricia Ann said...

Oh, it looks wonderful over there. :) I love being by the water. I'd wish to have a glass covered patio like your grandparents does, with all that LOBSTER. Holy guacamole, those look delicious.

August 21, 2009 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger erin baillie-rutter said...

judging from your haircut you handle scissors VERY well.

August 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really love that haircut on you...mother should not be scared.

August 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger robyn said...

Your trip looks like it was a lot of fun! And Wow! Your grandfather's view is AMAZING!

August 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Omg...first of all, your grandparents' place is beautiful, so serene and I love the porch. Also, Josie is soooooooo adorable!!! That video literally made my day. Smart little bubby!

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

August 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger reckless daughter said...

wow, this place looks incredibly beautiful! Maine is one of about 6 states I haven't visited yet.

I've always wanted to make sushi at home but honestly it seems like a lot of work. Still, I should give it a try.

August 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

looks like so much fun! :)

August 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Antonio Barros said...

OMG! I need one of those lobstahs!!!
They look so tasty!!!

Cool pictures!

the singular

August 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your grandpa sets a beautiful table. That's my kind of vacay. Loving your new 'do.

August 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful

August 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Lainey said...

I'd go to Maine just for the lobster. Great pictures btw!

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Mr.Mess said...

i really like your blog,it's not only about fashion,this post is so relaxing ;)

have a nice day and visit my blog if you want.

M. from Italy


www.mrmessadventures.blogspot.com

August 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM  
Blogger stephanie said...

I love maine so much!!!!


xx

August 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger מיכל♥ג'וש said...

these are SO beautiful (and your hair looks gorge).

August 31, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home