26.3.09

Damien

I think it was my fantastic sister who first introduced me to artist Damien Hirst's work way back when. . . 
"Damien Hirst's wide-ranging practice- installations, sculpture, painting and drawing - has sought to challenge the boundaries between art, science and popular culture.  His energy and inventiveness, and his consistently visceral, visually arresting work, has made him a leading artist of his generation." (whitecube.com)

Hirst's 50 million pound (british dollars. . .not weight. . . ) diamond skull
stained glass-looking window made of real butterflies.
"Valium"
"The Virgin Mother"
"The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living"
"Downsizing" 

COLLABORATIONS: 
Damien Hirst X Supreme Skate Decks
Damien Hirst X Levis

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

trying to recall where I heard of him before- "sought to challenge the boundaries between art, science and popular culture."---> makes me think of my brother and I: I'm artistically-inclined and he's doing a pharmacology/biochemistry PhD: it makes for a unique collaboration when we put our minds together.

that skull is irresistible- steals the show in this post!

xx

March 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Damien is a pretty talented dude, that is for SURE. But I think it's important to remember that some of his MOST famous pieces (the shark and others like it) were inspired/ stolen(depends on how you look at things) from someone else with considerably less money, and therefore no way to produce the art.

that said, damien still does amazing shit.

March 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

The skull and butterfly-window are insane!!
And I absolutely love the Levis. Would totally snap those up if I came across them - are they actually available? probably the most affordable damien art purchaseable..

March 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

definitley need a bedazzled skull sitting on my coffee table...

that butterfly is amazing but kinda creepy.. i don't think i want dead insects in my window.

March 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home