25.3.09

Vampira

After seeing the top two images on the amazzzzing blog Sweet Sacrilege  i immediately did a google search for more images/info on Vampira (Maila Nurmi) . . . 
Nurmi, a Finnish-American actress, created the campy character of Vampira in the 1950s. 
"Before Elvira, before Morticia Addams, there was Maila Nurmi, the pioneering queen of sexy, spooky goth. She developed a following as Vampira, host of a short lived namesake weekly 1954 TV show in which she introduced horror movies. . . " (excerpt from TIME magazine's Nurmi Obituary).   (info sources: Wiki and youtube,  images from Sweetsacrilege and Google)

[1201105566_f.jpg][vampira01.jpg]

6 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

never heard of her! i'm gonna do some searches, though!:)

March 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Holy Shit, she was amazing!!! Gorgeous, brazen and ahead of her time cool.

March 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This is amazing! god I love your blog! I know I tell you that all the time lol! But your posts are always inspiring and often I learn about something or someone I've never heard of and i love learning new things.
xx

March 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger me melodia said...

Each one of these pics is desktop worthy.

March 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Giselle said...

The biggest tattoo i have is of her, it measures from my ankle to my knee. I have always loved her!

-Giselle <3<3<3

March 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger robyn said...

Isn't she fab? Thanks for linking to my blog <3

March 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home