28.3.10

DON'T FUCK WITH ME.

So i think i was kinda scammed on ebay yesterday, and i was wondering if any of you have ever experienced something similar . . .

I was watching these Genetic Denim jeans but I realized I was gonna be at work when the bidding ended . . . i decided to throw down $60 as my max bid and just leave the rest to fate.
When i got done with work i had a few ebay messages in my mailbox . . The first one was that i had been outbid (the jeans were now selling for $61), the second email was that there had been an "ebay bid change" and i was once again the high bidder, and the third email was that i had won the jeans for my max price of $60. This struck me as fishy.

Upon further investigation i discovered that there had been 11 bids on the jeans while i was at work, all by the same buyer, after my initial bid before I left for work. The bidder consistently raised their bid by $2-4 every ten seconds until they had just barely outbid me. . . then they retracted their last bid stating "entered wrong amount" WTF
This bidder has also retracted bids 8 other times in the last 30 days. . . Detective Molly at work. I did a little ebay research and found out that what this bidder was doing is called "shilling." I sent an email to ebay stating what happened so we'll see how things turn out.

12 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

i've heard of this happening to others. super not okay. i would let everyone know the sellers name and the person's ebay name that made the price go up. they are obviously working together and need to be stopped!

March 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Rock Couture said...

Hoy crap... I never heard of that but that is BS! Ebay should remove the seller. How dishonest. I loathe dishonest people.

March 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smells fishy to me as well.
I don't buy anything unless I see that the seller has 100% feedback.

March 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Genia B. said...

Shilling is when the seller uses another account to bid on their item; just so they can make more of a profit. So while bidding on their own item; the seller won the item, so they retract the last bid.

eBay doesnt really do anything about that; I suggest you dont pay for the item. unless you willing to get the pants.


<3 G
Trail Mix.

March 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM  
Anonymous allie said...

This sucks....I've known people who have had their friends "bid up" an item but never heard of them doing the retraction part. Shaaaaddddyyy!

March 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger noirohio vintage said...

yeahh I've had this happen to me before--when the person wins it for a kinda high amount & then writes me and says "whoops, my roommate got on my computer and did this-I can't pay"... BULLSHIT!

March 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger khelsaoe said...

That does sounds like some scandalous shit. Good luck.

March 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Jasmine said...

you can get them back by using an online program called auction sniper, you put in your maximum bid amount and get the program to place the bid say 4 seconds before the end time - then if you are at work or asleep it will place the bid automatically, and you will get it for the cheapest price possible - and the seller can't do any 'shilling' on you.

March 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger STOP IT RIGHT NOW said...

ive seen this many times. i was watching this one pair of boots and it kept getting bid on and won, and then relisted. after monitoring this a bunch of times i saw the pattern and realized it was the same person bidding on their own item from another account name just to jack up the auction price, then if they ended up being the highest bidder they would just relist them again and again. super shady.

March 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Mrs Gorman said...

I had this happen to me, reported it, then ebay came back to me saying they had looked into it but couldn't tell me the results of the investigation. That's pretty standard apparently.

I found out because the person who bid against me had 100% of their bids with that seller - ie same person. I figured I got the (really bloody great) kilim rug for a really good price anyway but I was really really p*ssed off about it at the time.

There are some real ass holes on ebay.

March 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Sherrie Cola said...

This really isn't fair! I hope it gets sorted but knowing the way ebay decides to deal with stuff...anyway hope it all ends in your favour!

March 30, 2010 at 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Katie said...

This is why Ebay scares me.

March 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home