2.9.11

STELLA AS ETHEL

Vogue Italia revealed that the inspiration for their September cover (and subsequent editorial) came from Ethel Granger (1905-1982), who holds the record for the world's smallest waist: a mind blowing 13 inches. Ethel corseted her waist and pierced her face and ears for her husband and for her love of avant-garde fashion (you have to remember that ear piercing wasn't even common in the 1950s). Thankfully, no one has beat Ethel's Guinness Book record yet.

Here's to hoping there was post-production photoshop work done to Stella's waist!

These images of Ethel make me feel sick yo.
Этель Грангер (Ethel Granger) - женщина с самой тонкой в мире талией
Looks like Meisel stuck a little planking action in for you.
Vogue Italia September
Stella Tennant photographed by Steven Meisel

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

True enough about ear piercing not being common even in the 50s but I was amused, if not surprised to find that nipple piercing among ladies was quite the thing among Victorian ladies.
"For a long time I could not understand why I should consent to such a painful operation without sufficient reason. I soon, however came to the conclusion that many ladies are ready to bear the passing pain for the sake of love. I found that the breasts of those who wore rings were incomparably rounder and fuller developed than those who did not. My doubts were now at an end...so I had my nipples pierced, and when the wounds were healed, I had rings inserted...with regard to the experience of wearing these rings, I can only say that they are not in the least uncomfortable or painful. On the contrary, the slight rubbing and slipping of the rings causes in me an extremely titillating feeling, and all my colleagues I have spoken to on this subject have confirmed my opinion." London socialite writing in "Vogue" 1890
Ahhhh yeahhhhhhh!

September 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Rackk and Ruin said...

@Dan Cash: That is amazing! Thanks so much for posting that quote! I dabbled with the idea of piercing a nipple in college. . . Maybe if i'd read that quote back then i'd have gotten it done! xx

September 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's never too late to become One of Us!

September 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

wow, that is one tiny waist.
as for the nipple piercings, my friend and i have plans to get ours done, someone once said to my friend "why? you are such a freak! it's something a man would get" what an idiot.
anyway please excuse that rant, i hope you're having a wonderful day!

September 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

omg, those pictures made me feel sick too...which is funny--because very few things do...but something about that is actually revolting to me.

September 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger No said...

I wonder where her organs went...

September 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ANatural_-_BTight_lacing.png
Crazy stuff..

But this planking comment made me laugh. :D

September 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Sister Wolf said...

Ick, ugh! Horrible.

September 6, 2011 at 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home